Having just moved back to Connecticut after eight years away from home, I've found myself feeling a little out of place at times. I have some core friends from high school and of course my family, but there are not too many people I know based on mutual interests and hobbies, like there are in the other places I have lived. This weekend I decided to make a go at changing that, registering for a group hike led by the Connecticut chapter of the Appalachian Mountain Club.
The CT AMC seems to be a fantastic organization. They send weekly emails with hikes they are running in the area, and just about every day has an option, (some days two or three!) With Sunday being my day off, I registered for a hike and made sure to get plenty of sleep Saturday night. The hike was tailored towards younger members- a morning traverse of the Mount Tom Range in the Pioneer Valley of Massachusetts. The Mount Tom Range includes Mount Tom, which, at just over 1,200 feet, is one of the most prominent peaks between Greylock and Wachussett. The hike would begin at the north slope of the range, work its way south over some of the lesser peaks, and end at Mount Tom itself, with glorious views of Holyoke, Springfield, and the rest of the Pioneer Valley.
Or at least, that was the plan.
| The northern edge of the Mt. Tom Range, seen from US-5 south of Northampton. |
With the expected icy conditions at higher elevations, the hike leaders required micro-spikes, which are nifty little gadgets you affix to your hiking boots to give you traction on ice. I don't have micro-spikes, they are too expensive for me right now, and I was not able to find a place to rent them. Luckily, one of the hike leaders told me he would bring his extra pair for me to borrow. Yes!
Fast forward to Sunday. After waking up at 6:30am, dropping off the dog Jay at my aunt and uncle's house, and completing the drive through Springfield, I arrived at the trailhead in Easthampton ready and rearing to go. I met some other hikers, including Alison the other trip leader. The group was from places as disparate as Worcester, greater Hartford, and western Connecticut. It was a good group of six for the hike. The only person missing was the other trip leader, the one who had a pair of micro-spikes for me. I talked to Alison, and she said that he had called her that morning to say he was sick and would not be coming. Likewise, I would not have micro-spikes. No!
We began southward. It was chilly and cloudy, but beautiful. Big ol' flakes were coming down slowly, and there was no wind. It was picturesque. No sooner had we entered the woods, however, when the ice started to get bad. Everyone stopped and- you guessed it!- put their micro-spikes on. Good thing they were required. I determined that I would make a go of it. We started again, and- schwoop!- my second step put me on my butt. Not only that, but I slid a solid 15 feet down the trail on the ice, even taking the turn on a switchback. The group and I deliberated, and ultimately decided that going any further would not end well for me. It was not easy to turn back after such a long drive and such a short hike, but sometimes you have to choose the smart decision over the fun one.
| My unpreparedness turned this stretch of trail into a slip n slide. I turned back here. |
| St. John's Episcopal Church in Northampton. |
No comments:
Post a Comment