Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Welcome!

Where is home for you? When I hear the word home, my first thought is my house, my family, and my friends. But I also think of "my" woods, "my" wetlands, "my" beaches, and "my" waters. Even with all of the things mentioned surrounding me, I feel I am still searching for home. There is always work to do around the house. I am always learning more and finding more love and joy in my family and friends, and of course, there are always more woods to explore.

I can't imagine that essays about relationships with my house, friends, and family would be completely appropriate for a blog, and besides, I have my personal journal for that. My woods however, now that deserves some publicity. CT Wild Ramblings is a medium for reflection, an archive of my experience, and potentially even a resource for you, the elusive blog-reader.

I refer to the places I explore as "my woods" in the same way you might describe your hometown. Places we know and love tend to foment feelings of internal ownership. Its the feeling you get when you reach a viewpoint at the top of a mountain and you can identify the little town centers below and the layers of hilltops beyond- not from a map, but from experience, having been there. When you know where you are geographically, perhaps you can begin to know where you are in a grander scheme. That's what I'm searching for and writing about here.

Whether it is a new area, a new trail, or a new perspective on an old trail, I am constantly learning more about my woods and getting a better understanding of my experience of home and self. Perhaps you'll find some perspective here, and apply it to your own experience with your own woods. And if not, you can still get outside for some fresh air, exercise, and fun!

Taken September 2017 - Connecticut River near East Windsor

No comments:

Post a Comment